Meridia is the name of the drug Sibutramine. Meridia medication enhances the satiety of the person as it acts centrally and so it inhibits the norepinephrine as well as serotonin reuptake. Meridia drug also hypothesized so that it acts peripherally and so the metabolic rate is increased and the thermogenesis is increased as well as there is more energy expenditure as it activates the sympathetic nervous system. The way it does is through the β3 adrenergic receptors. The other effect is that Meridia inhibits the reuptake of dopamine but that is minimal.
3 fold advantages of Meridia
Therefore, the effects seen when people are buying Meridia are threefold
- The decrease in weight,
- The maintenance of weight of those patients who have a body mass index of 30 kg/m2 or higher than 27 kg/m2
- The improvement for those suffering from hyperlipidemia as well as the glycemic control for those patients who are suffering from Type 2 diabetes.
The three-pronged approach to use Meridia is that:
a) With regards to the Meridia medication :
- The patient should take Meridia dosage in the frequency which is prescribed by the doctor. The doctor is the best person who knows how much should be prescribed per day based on the constitution of the person, the other medical conditions as well as the other factors that need to be considered such as the weight, the age etc.
- Meridia weight loss medication is to be taken for the length of time it is prescribed and for neither a shorter duration nor a longer duration.Meridia does have other side effects and therefore it should not be continued post what the doctor has prescribed.
- Thi medication should not be mixed with other stimulants or depressants such as alcohol, nicotine as well as caffeine or possibly some other medication.
b) The patient should eat a healthy diet
- The patient is advised to cut down on fats and oils consumed. Junk food has to be totally eliminated from the diet. Fatty foods are to be reduced.
- Sugars, tinned food, processed food as well as starches and carbohydrates should be cut down.
- The portions should be smaller and the patient should be mindful of their habits of eating
c) Exercise should be increased.
- The patient should exercise at least 3 times a week for a minimum of 20 minutes each time. This could include a brisk walk or swimming or some other exercise
- The person should try to use the stairs rather than the elevator and walk rather than drive wherever possible
- The exercise routine should gradually be built up in intensity as well as in frequency for the best effect.
As this medication does have certain side effects like increasing the blood pressure and the pulse of the person as Meridia medication acts on the central nervous system and the brain and it should not be avoided by those who suffer from cardiac arrhythmias, glaucoma, epilepsy as well as seizures.